After a furiously paced week I'm happy to release RC2 of the Wikipedia
Android application. Brion and Yuvi did a lot of stability cleanup,
caching fixes, and in general magician work to get this closer to
market release. Note that we've also changed 'bookmarks' to 'saved
pages'. Were pushing fast to get this ready to launch by January
For those that just want to get going
You can also find it attached to this email.
As before we need you to test this extensively and file bugs under
Key points to test (mostly same as before)
* Browse as you would normally do on WIFI, 2G, 3G, & no connectivity
* Save an article that your on and then load it as a saved page.
Delete that saved page.
** Go into airplane mode and load the saved article. Follow a link <== new
* Open your browsing history and load a previous page
* Tap 'near me' and browse articles. Move the map and tap 'redo search
in this area'
* Share a link with someone on twitter or facebook
* Changing your language preference in the Settings menu
* Use a phone that is in a non US local to test other languages like
Hebrew, Japanese, Arabic, etc
* .. and whatever else you may want try out
Items fixed or updated since RC1
* Updated Wikipedia App icon
* Remove 'example checkbox' from settings dialog before release
* Android back button troubles (history vs bookmarks?)
* Text in search box remains as you typed it even if you select
another search suggestion or move on to another page
* Add inter-wiki language links
* Flash of Unstyled Content when loading bookmarks in Android App
* Android bookmarks list should show most recent at top
* Links from bookmarked page sometimes open in full screen
* Wikipedia Android app uses internal path when sharing offline links
* Wikipedia Android app saves wrong article when on 'San Francisco'
* Offline page is now styled
* Search box doesn't always highlight
* Saving pages can be slow
Feedback page is still here @
As before there are bound to be bugs but don't think that someone will
file them for you. If you don't file it then chances are that we wont
know its an issue. If your not sure of wether its a bug or not then
come join us on #wikimedia-mobile (freenode) and we'll sort it out.