I would like to announce the release of MediaWiki language extension
* sha256sum: 9aea5b1dac2b38e44284373c849241fc694c78caff1d3ca3b4e6e72d66f2ab12
* Installation instructions are at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
* Announcements of new releases will be posted to a mailing list:
* Report bugs to https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org
* Talk with us at #mediawiki-i18n @ freenode
Release notes for each extension are below.
Amir E. Aharoni
== Babel ==
Only localization updates.
== cldr ==
CLDR was updated to version 23.1.
== CleanChanges ==
Only localization updates.
== LocalisationUpdate ==
== Translate ==
The new translation editor in Translate is now considered stable. The
last month saw mostly polishing and bug fixes, changes in internals of
the extension and terminology was made more consistent.
Other notable bug fixes:
* Warnings are loaded for outdated messages before user starts typing,
because being outdated is an issue in itself.
* Statsbar at the bottom floating bar of Special:Translate is updated
when changing group.
* Links of tabs at the top of Special:Translate are now kept in sync
when changing message group or language
* Custom icon (x) for clearing the searchboxsearch box clear icon was
removed. Some browsers add this icon automatically, while others do
* The tooltips for message groups in the group selector were removed.
They contained unparsed wiki markup, which could be confusing.
* Message documentation can be added even if the translations are
restricted to only certain languages.
* Icons for status markers and review actions for right-to-left
languages were added.
* In some rare cases the language name could be incorrectly displayed
when selected from the language selector at Special:Translate, because
the text direction attribute was not updated properly.
== UniversalLanguageSelector ==
The last month saw significant changes in the Universal Language
Selector extension: many bugs were fixed and some design changes were
The default location of the language selectors is in the personal
toolbar. For projects like Wikipedia, with interlanguage links,
separating interwiki links from user interface language could cause
confusion for users. It is now also possible to use a cog icon in the
area for interlanguage links using $wgULSPosition = 'interlanguage' in
LocalSettings.php, though this feature is still experimental.
Notable bug fixes:
* Major bugs in the input methods functionality for Microsoft Internet
Explorer 8, 9 and 10 were fixed.
* IME selector positioning is now more consistent: always under the
input box, and matching the direction.
* Anonymous users cannot change the user interface language if
$wgULSAnonCanChangeLanguage is set to false. This may help avoid cache
pollution in certain MediaWiki setups, while input methods and web
fonts still remain available.
* A link to open the ULS was added near the language selector on
* The positioning of the ULS windows was cleaned up so that the appear
in more predictable places on the screen.
* The checkbox that enables and disables webfonts was removed. The
feature is now always on.
* Any untranslatable elements have been made translatable. Please
contribute to translations at
* Fonts for the Syriac alphabet and support for the 'syc' language
code were added.
* Completely disabling input method tools and reenabling immediately
was made easier.
* The bubble for restoring the previous language is not displayed to
anonymous users if they can't change the language.
* jquery.i18n files can be loaded from the same domain to fix an issue
with old Microsoft Internet Explorer versions. This is only relevant
if resources are served from a different domain.
A known issue is bug 48898 - the "Apply settings" button doesn't close
the Input settings panel after enabling or disabling the settings. The
settings are saved, but the button doesn't work correctly.
Bugzilla link: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48898
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore