I finally had the time to dive back into this project and managed to get everything working exactly as I was hoping.... locally! After uploading the game to a server it suddenly stops working again. From my knowledge with Flash games and further testing, I believe it has to do with the cross-domain-policy for Wikitionary, which is usually an xml set up on the server.

While attempting to locate the current Wikimedia policy I ran into random comments with warnings about the security risks involved in using the cross-domain-policy. I also discovered that Bugfix 1.9 states "Partial support for Flash cross-domain-policy filtering."

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there a confirmed and allowed method to programmatically pull the rendered HTML from Wiktionary that can then be parsed?


On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Conrad Irwin <conrad.irwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 04/25/2010 11:32 PM, Aaron Ward wrote:
> Hello there!
> I'm a Flash Video Game Developer working on a word based game. I stumbled
> across the MediaWiki API component during my research and I've been testing
> it locally in the game to retrieve word definitions and displaying them in
> the game for the player. In general, everything works great locally, but
> there's a few odd issues that I'd like to get worked out, if possible.

As in the forum, you can get definitions from Wiktionary, though it's
not quite that simple (there is not a "data" API to Wiktionary, you can
only get the page text).

You have a choice between:

1. Getting the raw text of the page with the API and extracting the
lines that start with a # for definitions.
2. Getting the rendered HTML of the page as normal, and extracting the
contents of the <ol> in <div id="bodyContent">.
3. Creating something easier to use with the pre-extracted lists at

In an ideal world there would be a public API using the data from (3),
but no one has done that yet.