Per the below, protocol-relative URLs are now enabled on
and will be rolled out to the rest of the wikis
over the course of the next few weeks. What this means is that URLs
used in the interface will now look like //example.com instead of
, so we can support both HTTP and HTTPS without
splitting our cache.
The API, in most cases, will not output protocol-relative URLs, but
will continue to output http:// URLs no matter whether you call it
over HTTP or HTTPS. This is because we don't expect API clients to be
able to resolve these correctly, and that the context of these URLs
(which is needed to resolve them) will frequently get lost along the
way. And we don't wanna go breaking clients, now, do we? :)
The exceptions to this, as far as I am aware, are:
* HTML produced by the parser will have protocol-relative URLs in <a
href="..."> tags etc.
* prop=extlinks and list=exturlusage will output URLs verbatim as they
appear in the article, which means they may output protocol-relative
If you are getting protocol-relative URLs in some other place, that's
probably a bug (or maybe it's intentional and I forgot to list it
here), so please let me know, or e-mail this list, or file bug, if you
see that happening.
Roan Kattouw (Catrope)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ryan Lane <rlane32(a)gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Protocol-relative URLs enabled on test.wikipedia.org
To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
Over the past couple days Roan Kattouw and I have been pushing out
changes to enable protocol-relative URL support. We've gotten to a
point where we think it is stable and working.
We've enabled this on test.wikipedia.org
, and plan on running it for
two weeks before enabling it elsewhere. Please test if everything is
working properly, especially with regards to the API and bots. Report
bugs in bugzilla if any are found.
Wikitech-l mailing list