I am currently porting WikiShootMe to Labs:
It fulfils #2, 3, and 5 of your list. 4 can be added rather quickly.
As for #1, I believe it's easy. As it is, it shows all articles without
images around a given point. A small fork could be limited to the monuments
Will take a few days, as I only have evenings to work on this (and all my
other tools); Labs makes it easy to add interested programmers, so if
anyone wants to help...
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Maarten Dammers <maarten(a)mdammers.nl>wrote;wrote:
We still lack a very important tool for Wiki Loves Monuments in September:
A web based map to easily find monuments.
We have the backend containing all the information: The monuments database
has 750.000+ items with geo information and this is accessible as kml .
We just need a web based map interface to wrap around this and is easy to
Some initial requirements:
* Easy, probably only a filter to show monuments with or without a photo
* Works in all participating countries
* Centers on a location useful for the user (ask browser?)
* Is available in multiple languages (translatewiki?)
* Works in standard browsers without any add ons
I've seen plenty of local tools over the years, but no tool that could
just be used be everyone. Who can help out here?
Maps-l mailing list