I'm happy to wait for your proposal, Amir. Still, if there is something that is going to require LangCom approval, there needs to be something in the proposal that compels LangCom to act within a reasonable time frame. Yes, we're volunteers, but so are the
people who are creating the projects in Incubator (etc.), and they deserve not to have to wait a year.
I will also add that as long as I'm not so frustrated with the system that I can stay active, I do watch the active tests on Incubator. Yes, it's possible for me to be fooled by a hoax, as I don't usually read the languages involved. Still, as long as Incubator/Beta/Old
Wikisource are being monitored, it needs to be a pretty robust hoax on the concerted part of a reasonable number of contributors in order to make it all the way to the point of approvability.
Finally, then, is the tradeoff between avoiding hoaxes and being responsive to new-project communities. The chances that such a community is a good-faith community that is being hurt by delay are probably much greater than the chances that such a community
is a hoax community. So while I think we need a chance for our due diligence, we should not be allowed an arbitrarily long time to do that due diligence, either.
Sent from Outlook
From: Langcom <firstname.lastname@example.org> on behalf of email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:00 AM
To: email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Langcom Digest, Vol 70, Issue 12
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 08:52:07 +0300
From: "Amir E. Aharoni" <email@example.com>
To: Wikimedia Foundation Language Committee
Subject: Re: [Langcom] Proposed amendment to LPP (was: Final approval
for four projects)
No verification at all and simply assuming good faith after some arbitrary
time is asking for trouble. There already were cases of hoaxes in the past.
Not many cases, but they did happen, and we're talking about a whole site,
even one case is major trouble.
HOWEVER, I absolutely do recognize that we have unnecessary and harmful
bottlenecks in the approval process, and because of that I'm working on
another proposal that will ease up at least some of these bottlenecks.
I've just came back from Wikimania, and I'm immediately going for a
vacation until the end of August, but after that—expect surprises,
hopefully good ones.
Amir Elisha Aharoni · àÈîÄéø àÁìÄéùÑÈò àÇäÂøåÉðÄé