Great to have this list, Russavia! I'd suggest putting the list on-wiki.
The "requested articles" list would be a natural place, e.g. for EN perhaps
bios by profession:
and you could link to the photos at the same time.
In case there are plentiful sources (e.g. there's a book-length biography)
or notability is otherwise obvious, adding a stub with the reference,
photo, and 2 or 3 sentences would be a good start.
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Russavia <russavia.wikipedia(a)gmail.com>wrote;wrote:
In relation to my suggestion a couple of weeks ago, here's a short
list of notable women who should have articles, but don't, and for
which we have photos.
* Fatimat Seye Sylla (Senegalese internet) -
* Albina Ruiz (Peruvian environmental/social activist) -
* Ibukun Odusote (Nigerian senior public servant and internet) -
* Mary Uduma (Nigerian internet) -
* Marion Williams (Barbadian economist/Barbadian ambassador) -
* Deborah Elms (American economist and Academic in Singapore) -
* Anneke Van Woudenberg (Human rights activist/researcher) -
* Anabel González (Costa Rican trade minister) -
* Dorcas Makgato-Malesu (Batswana government minister) -
* Athalia Molokomme (Batswana Attorney-General) -
* Siti Kassim (Comorian Minister of Labour, Vocational Training and
Women's Empowerment) -
* Machiko Nissanke (School of Oriental and African Studies, University
of London) -
* Mannete Ramaili (Basotho government minister and diplomat) -
As one can see from this list, if articles for these women are
created, not only will it help to lessen the "gender gap" in articles,
but will also help some of the WP:BIAS that is prevalent on the
projects in terms of "western" people being more likely to have
articles than those from outside the "western world".
Additionally, having photos, and a well written article, might be
encouragement to have them featured at WP:DYK (on the front page),
which will also help bring women of the world, and their achievements,
to a wider audience -- which I guess is part of the reason for this
If anyone's interested, I can continue to expand on this list with
suggestions; just let me know.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:37 AM, Russavia <russavia.wikipedia(a)gmail.com>
Over recent months I have uploaded around 150,000 photos from high
value Flickr streams, and as I go through the uploads cleaning them up
I am coming across photos of many notable females (politics, social
activists, diplomatic, etc) that should probably have articles on our
projects, but which don't exist. I have written many an article based
purely on the notion of us having freely licenced media available, and
I was wondering if anyone would be interested if I wrote up a list of
these missing articles that people might like to look at writing up.
Gendergap mailing list