*** Apologies for cross-postings ***
CALL FOR PAPERS - Wikipedia Academy 2012: Research and Free Knowledge.
June 29 - July 1, 2012 | Berlin, Germany
*** EXTENDED submission deadline: 15 Apr 2012 ***
Conference Website: http://wikipedia-academy.de/2012/wiki/Main_Page
Submit your papers here: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wpac2012
The “Wikipedia Academy 2012: Research and Free Knowledge” provides a
platform for the research community and the Wikipedia community to
connect, present, discuss and advance research on Wikipedia in
particular and on free knowledge in general.
The Wikipedia Academy 2012 is organized by Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
in collaboration with the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for
Internet and Society and Freie Universität Berlin. The conference will
take place in Berlin, 29 June to 1 July 2012. The event will be open
to all interested parties and features a variety of session formats
ranging from workshops, panel discussions and tracks with traditional
paper and poster presentations to break-out sessions, lightning talks,
speed geeking and a free culture brunch. We particularly invite young
doctoral and postdoctoral researcher to participate and to submit
For research paper and poster sessions, we would like to encourage the
submission of extended abstracts addressing issues in the overall
nexus of Wikipedia and free knowledge.
== Dates ==
* Submission of extended abstracts: 15 April 2012
* Notification of acceptance: 1 May 2012
* Submission of full papers: 1 June 2012
* Event: 29 June - 1 July 2012
== Topics of interest ==
Submissions are invited for the categories following below.
=== Research on Users of and Contributors to Wikipedia ===
* Diversity among users of and contributors to Wikipedia (e.g. gender gap)
* Influencing participation by adapting user interfaces in open
* Using information visualization as information instrument to users
=== Wikipedia Global ===
* Relations and Differences between national Wikipedias
* Differences between and critique of free/open knowledge ideologies
* Regional studies of Wikipedia and free knowledge with global lessons
=== Sharing Cultures and Practices ===
* Sharing culture(s) in Wikipedia and other projects of commons-based
* Incentives, innovation and community dynamics in open collaborative
* Wiki theory and wiki practices
=== Economic and Regulatory Aspects of Free Knowledge ===
* Economic, regulatory and societal implications of (increased) access
to free knowledge
* Different Modes of Governance: Emergence of Order and Coordination
* The role of licensing decisions for Wikipedia and other
collaborative forms of knowledge production
=== Wikipedia Analytics ===
* Wikis and Wikipedia as a research tool
* Analyzing Wikipedia as a source of "Big Data"
* Assessing and measuring the quality of Wikipedia articles
== Submission Guidelines ==
Extended Abstracts must be submitted by the given deadline for peer
review. Conference language is English, exceptions can be made on a
case-by-case basis. Submission entails a commitment that at least one
author will attend the event in the case of acceptance and deliver a
full paper version prior to the event. Also, authors grant the
organizers the right to publish accepted papers in the form of online
proceedings or a similar format, to be determined at a later stage. In
addition, accepted submissions will be automatically licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license unless the authors
explicitly state in their submission that they wish to opt out of this
licensing agreement. We encourage authors to use said license in order
to promote open access to scholarly work although decisions to opt out
will be respected and will not influence the review process in any
way. In any case, authors of accepted submissions cannot opt out from
the basic condition that they grant the organizers the right to
publish at least the extended abstract online.
Please submit your extended abstract (about 2-3 pages) in PDF, Open
Document Format (ODF) or plain text format at:
Note: You will need an easychair account to submit. You can create one
on the spot if you do not have one yet.
In case of further questions, don't hesitate to contact us via
Fon +49 30 219 158 26 16
Mobil +49 172 23 13 811
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Eisenacher Straße 2 | 10777 Berlin
Tel. (030) 219 158 260
Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales
Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird.
Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition!
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.