I send you a job proposal of Wikimedia Switzerland. Please consider that it’s important
the capacity to speak German fluently.
Education Expert (Manager) for Switzerland, 80- 100%
Wikimedia CH’s Education programme aims at increasing the accessibility of knowledge
through delivering on and collaborating with educational projects that advance learning at
every level, from children to adults. The associations’ work supports lifelong learning,
as well as teachers and professors at schools, universities and other institutions of
higher education. It provides tools and methods for digital learning and collaboration,
accompanying these with capacity building and promotion.
The word “education” is used as proposed by the Swiss and European programmes, applying
the term not only to schools or universities but also to the learning and development of
every person at every age.
To better understand the needs of educators and other stakeholders regarding the use of
Wikimedia projects, the strategy that WMCH followed up to now, has been re-worked with the
help of experts and now needs an Education expert to break it down into annual plans and
implement it, achieving concrete deliverables and outputs. Our target for 2026 foresees
that WMCH becomes a respected player in Switzerland and abroad in the education field;
this includes supporting programmes and efforts in the best possible way and acting as a
catalyser and integrator of the different actions and initiatives that exist within the
Movement and beyond.
In this exciting role you will thus be responsible for translating the new strategy into
plans and actions and implementing these taking into consideration what has been done so
far under the guidance of the current Education Manager. Your tasks will on one hand focus
on Switzerland but on the other enable you to closely collaborate with the wider Wiki
Movement as well as other international actors and stakeholders.
If you speak various languages, like to reach-out to people as well as self-organise and
travel foremost across Switzerland plus have solid education and project management
experience with some technical understanding, then we are looking forward to hearing from
* Translate 5 year education strategy and overall goal into SMART (specific,
measurable, achievable, relevant and timely) annual action plans with respective
* Oversee, implement and follow the 2023 Annual Plan
* Manage and implement Education projects within Wikimedia CH building up - among
other things - a network of experts within Switzerland and abroad who can deliver on
* In general, promote Wikipedia/online literacy as a school subject, proposing new
models and new tools.
* Support activities that advance lifelong learning using Wikipedia and its sister
projects so that all adults become aware of Wikimedia projects and know how to interact
politely on its various platforms.
* Enable experimentation and innovation in the field of education and knowledge with
the help of an Innovation Lab and other enablers.
* Develop new training and learning models to increase knowledge and skills for
* Support the yearly focus of Wikimedia CH with relevant Education partners and
* Ensuring the engagement and mobilisation of Education partners the Education
community to take on leadership over single events and projects.
* Strengthening the collaborative aspect by sharing Wikimedia CH projects with other
Wikimedia Chapters and the international Wikimedia Community.
* Support projects driven by Education partners to integrate Wikimedia CH projects in
their platforms as well as invest in new ones.
* Expand our international awareness campaigns.
* Foster long-term commitment and collaboration among our partners and stakeholders.
* Closely work, exchange and collaborate with other team members from Wikimedia CH
responsible for fundraising, education, communication, community and innovation.
Mandatory Job-related skills/competencies:
· Fluent in (Swiss) German (at least C1), English (at least C1) and French (at
least B2); nice to have: Italian (B1/B2)
· Availability for regular travel within Switzerland
· Willingness to work on flexible work schedules (also sometimes evenings and
weekends), due to the nature of Wikimedia CH’s work
· Strong writing/speaking skills in the relevant languages (clarity, focussed,
expression, results-oriented), 5 years +
· Strong project management skills
· A bachelor’s degree in an education related field or equivalent
· Knowledge of the most recent educational methodologies
· Knowledge of the educational sector in Switzerland and possibly abroad
· Tech savviness and general understanding mainly concerning educational tools
· Relevant and documented experience in project management
· Excellent people management skills and proficiency in solving problems
· Strong relationship-building and outreach capacity
· Ability to work with partners/volunteers and to motivate them
· Hands-on personality: demonstrated capacity to get things done in a flexible
· Multicultural and virtual experience (knowledge of the NGO sector and technology
is an advantage)
· Knowledge of standard communication and Office tools and measures (online and
· Proven ability to work in a virtual environment in an autonomous manner
· Proficient with measuring impact and reaching goals
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Ability to delegate, communicate and work as a team member on shared projects
· Strong intercultural competence and a “can do” attitude
· Self-starter, pro-active, and results-oriented with an excellent capacity to
· A “thick skin” and effective conflict management skills
· The capacity to work effectively in a virtual team, to delegate and to share
· Willing to take on responsibility and to work on flexible schedules
· Strong online collaboration skills
· Good understanding of technology (IT, wiki, social media)
· Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
· Excellent relation management and building skills
· An understanding of free knowledge with a commitment to this value
· Flexibility and willingness to learn and to evolve
· We offer a position in a modern not-for-profit setting, inside a high-profile
association with interesting and varied tasks and the possibility of development. Being a
virtual organisation without a physical office, the candidate will be home-based,
frequently travelling across Switzerland and sometimes abroad. Any location in Switzerland
would be possible.
· Attractive pension fund and benefits
· Contract foreseen for 80-100%
· The position reports to the Lead Innovation of Wikimedia CH
Closing date for applications is set to December 15, 2022 and applications should be
addressed electronically to
firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> including your CV
and a cover letter. Please do not attach certificates or indicate references at this
Please only apply if you write/speak the required languages!
Innovation Programme Manager
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Association pour l’avancement des connaissances libre
Associazione per il sostegno alla conoscenza libera
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich