Thanks Trey, that's very helpful.


On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Trey Jones <> wrote:
Hi Pine,

Google's underlying database is called Knowledge Graph, and some people call it that. Microsoft Bing's similar knowledge base is called Satori Knowledge Base. Looks like Google calls the sidebar a Knowledge Panel (original source).

I would've called it search summary, but some people seem to use that to refer to the snippets under the title/link for a result.

"Knowledge panel" seems to be reasonably generic, unambiguous, and definitely understandable with some minimal explanation. A few quick googles show that both "knowledge panel" and "knowledge graph" are being genericized, and you can find people using both when discussing Bing, though Microsoft probably don't use either term.

Also of note, while a lot of info in Google's knowledge panel comes from Wikipedia, but not all of it, so "Wikipedia sidebar" would not be quite accurate.

Hope that helps,

Trey Jones
Software Engineer, Discovery
Wikimedia Foundation

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Pine W <> wrote:
Hi Discovery,

Is there a particular term for search engine sidebars of Wikipedia content? For example, do we call them "search engine previews" or "Wikipedia sidebars on search pages"? I imagine that Google and Microsoft have certain terminology, and I'd like to be consistent when I'm referring to them in the LearnWiki videos, provided that the term is something that the average user would understand.


discovery mailing list

discovery mailing list