On 8/27/07, Platonides <Platonides(a)gmail.com> wrote:
What features should the ultimete-upload-tool have?
1) It should be reliable, fairly small, easy to install/start up, and
2) It should have robust support for metadata collection. It should
include things like category suggestion (perhaps polling one of our
existing tools onthe backend), geocoding, automatic exif field
extraction (date and time, for example).
3) It should force the user to provide the fields we consider
mandatory. It should make sure the output is something we'd consider
4) It should try to pull as much of its behavior from the site as
possible, for example it should something like the license selector on
the site for its own license selections.
5) It should reduce/remove repetitive typing. You should be able to
select a group of files and make the same change to all of them at
6) It should support exif manipulation. It should be able to copy user
supplied data into EXIF/IPCT/XMP (author, license, copyright,
geodata), and stripping useless or privacy harming information
(thumbnail, camera serial no, photoshop spookydata).. so hopefully
people will stop stripping all exif on their uploads.
7) Crop, rotate, resize. Auto-flipping based on exif orientation data.
We don't need to reinvent the gimp here, but it should have some basic
.. oh.. and it would be really nice if it supported all of the above
for video files too. (along with transcoding and the ability to write
ogg tags.. but one step at a time) ;)