The best way to work with us is to join us in IRC. We use an IRC chatroom as a sort of open office. It's a great way to communicate with us and ask questions. But it's also an old clunky technology so you might run into some difficulties.
Are you familiar with IRC? If so, here's what you need to know:
- Network: Freenode
- Channel: #wikimedia-ai
If not, well, IRC is a chatroom based system that uses "commands" to register, log in, and perform other functions. The fastest way to get set up is to connect with a web client, register your "nickname", and then join our channel.
- Go to https://webchat.freenode.net
- Type in a "Nick" that you expect to be unique and click Start (Note the "I have a password" field but ignore it for now)
- Once the client loads up, click on the "Freenode" channel on the left side.
- Type '/msg NickServ REGISTER "mypassword" email@example.com' But type a password and your email address.
- You should now have an email from Freenode's NickServ where you can confirm
- Go back to https://webchat.freenode.net,
- Check the "I have a password" box and type the password you set for your account.
- Also type "#wikimedia-ai" into the channel box
- Hit Start
You should now be in our channel. If you type someone's nickname, they'll hear a "ping" on their side. My name is "halfak". Type my name when you arrive and if I'm available, I'll guide you further. Sorry this is such a complicated process!