I have met a few of you over Skype and in person before at Wikimedia
events, I'm currently working at UNESCO.
May 5th is African World Heritage Day and I was thinking about running a
small online campaign for it.
I have an idea and would like to know what you thought and how it could be
I would like to encourage editors in many languages to write Wikipedia and
Wikivoyage articles about the World Heritage sites in Africa through social
media and also on Wikipedia and Wikivoyage.
I want to make this as multilingual as possible so I've used dynamic
Wikidata Lists to create this table which shows which articles are
available in which language. I think its a really nice way to create a
project 'hit list' using Wikidata.
There are a few Wikidata items down the bottom of the list that are blank
or with very few articles, I need to fix this, they're duplicate items so
don't point to any articles or only one or two.
Some questions I'm currently thinking about:
- What languages should be included in the list? The languages I
currently have are the 6 UN languages + a few other popular languages but
this is easy to change.
- What should be the aim of the campaign? E.g to create articles where
they don't exist in smaller Wikipedias.
- Should I include both Wikivoyage and Wikipedia or just stick to
Wikipedia, or should I split into two tables?
- Is the tool easy enough for experienced editors to use to find where
articles don't exist yet? Its a shame they can't click on a button where
the gap is to just write or translate the article.
- Does anyone want to work with me on this?
- Where and how should we encourage people to take part
- Does this need a homepage or can it simply be a tweet that can be
translated? This would allow it to be shared in many languages easily.
All thoughts welcome