In 2017 (August 9-13), the ACASA Art Council of the African Studies Association is having
its triennial meeting in Ghana. it is the first time in Africa.
1. It is a very relevant conference for Wikimedia issues. it is an event attended by:
researchers from Africa and focussed on Africa, people involved in art and cultural
heritage, and representatives of international institutions (museums from the continent
and outside, i.e. many South African institutions are normally present at the conference,
and there are also very well-known names such as US museums and universities like
Smithsonian, Brooklyn, Harvard).
2. the association ACASA is already working on the logistics and the board is composed of
very nice people
3. the event is in 2017 - time to plan fundraising for scholarships, communication and
involvement of people from the continent also related to Wikimedia
4. Ghana has a group of people already active on the Wikimedia projects.
5. wikimedia events can be training for all participants, presentations, and it is also
possible to create a pre-event or post-event just for Wikimedia volunteers if relevant.
I wanted to launch the idea for an African gathering in another country (as suggested by
Wikimedia ZA) but with a light management work.
what do you think?
all the best