Hope we are all doing well. On behalf of the AWMD core team, I wish to
thank you all for your contributions on answering the survey. I am mostly
happy because the greatest participation was from the ladies👯. (No hard
feeling guys but such results are rare in tech🙂).
- More than 60% participation from AWMD countries in Africa
- 80% of response were from female.
- 70% of response were from people who Averagely attend IRC meetings.
- 60% find IRC meetings useful
- 80% find the IRC tool useful to developers
- 70% agreed on having more meetings centered around helping others with
tasks and getting started
- 70% agreed they will regularly attend the meetings if it is centered
on solving issues rather than addressing agenda points. the remaining 30%
reacted with *maybe.*
*To be considered.*
1. We received a lot of complains mostly from beginners about IRC tool
not being friendly
2. A few other comments show that some of you don't know how exactly you
should or can contribute.
3. Two comments about not being aware of meeting times and one complain
on the chosen meeting time.
*What we are suggesting and will be trying soon:*
we decided to introduce some regular meeting day twice a months, meant at
fixing working in group remotely, debugging and fixing issues, this
includes helping beginners with simple issues. attendance is optional. You
may attend if you feel you can be helpful or if you have questions to
expose or need some help related to code contributions to MediaWiki.
1. Meeting every second and third Saturday of the month. From 1pm to 6pm
the floor is open for any help requests and questions. You are sure to meet
people who can help then. (The name of the meeting is still to be chosen,
we welcome suggestions e.g *AwmdDebugTime* ?)
2. IRC meetings will be once in 3 month, 2nd Friday of the 3rd month,
3. You can also request for a hangout call in case you think it will
make things easier for you. You can send me a direct mail and we will make
it happen for you.
4. Apart from meeting times you can always hang around on
We are still looking into changing the meeting tool (IRC to Slack?) but
for now we will keep it till further notice.
Feel free to directly reply to this mail with your questions.
Sorry for the long email ;)
Have a great week
Show replies by thread