[Wiktionary-l] Wiktionary quality issues

Dmcdevit dmcdevit at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 23:29:50 UTC 2007

GerardM wrote:
> On the Russian Wiktionary many of the
> articles are created by a bot and they do not provide good information. An
> example is dispersion, <http://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/dispersion> there is
> nothing really in there.
Would it be possible to have the Russian bot creating content-free
articles include some kind of tag, to be removed by a human editor when
adding content, that the interwiki bot could recognize? Ideally, we
should not link to non-content, but that is preferable to not linking to
ruwikt at all.
> The Vietnamese Wiktionary is more problematic
> because a bot was used to generate declension and conjugation tables of
> Russian words and they got it wrong.

I agree with Muke here. Factual inaccuracies are undesirable, but all
Wiktionaries have them to some extent, and it is not another
Wiktionary's job to police them. It is inherent to the wiki process that
there will always be room for improvement; excluding interwiki links for
inaccuracies is unworkable. There are many good viwikt articles, and
there will be more good viwikt articles in the future, regardless of
their problems. At the same time, this is a plwikt local issue, and if
they develop consensus on the matter, I would feel uncomfortable
imposing any outsiders' rules on them.
> Given how the process works, I am not sure that I can exclude either the
> Russian or the Vietnamese Wiktionary. The way it works is that I run
> explicitly on all Wiktionaries. When I exclude Russian or Vietnamese, I will
> probably end up removing all references to these projects. They are the
> third and fourth Wiktionary is size.
>
> When I do not exclude the Russian and the Vietnamese Wiktionary, the bot may
> end up being blocked on the Polish Wiktionary. This will also kill off the
> interwiki process.
Does this mean that you couldn't just have the bot not add Russian and
Vietnamese interwiki links to plwikt only? Even if we don't like the
policy of excluding certain project's interwiki links, it is better than
having no links.

Dominic