[WikiX-l] draft: international FAQ for Wikipedia for World Heritage

Michael Jahn michael.jahn at wikimedia.de
Mon May 30 12:39:05 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

media coverage of "Wikipedia for World Heritage!" increases and so do
questions from the press. Many of them are likely to reappear time after
time and internationally. Since Itzik and Ted asked for something like this,
here is a preliminary draft of FAQs about Wikipedia for World Heritage that
we adapted after the first media reactions came in last week. Maybe it is
useful to share some basic external communication outline.

Please, feel free to improve and extend this draft! Let's work on this
together.

Best
Michael

*Why do you want Wikipedia to be recognized as a World Cultural Heritage
site? The UNESCO Memory of the World seems more appropriate.*

We are convinced that Wikipedia fits all three UNESCO categories: World
Cultural Heritage, Intangible Cultural Heritage and Memory of the World.
However, we want to start the application for World Cultural Heritage
precisely because of the underlying World Heritage Convention. The
Convention dates back to 1972. It refers to "sites" as candidates for World
Heritage in a completely non-digital context. Enhanced meanings of the
concept, like the possibility of a "website", could not have been thought of
back then. Those evolved later. Today digital sites have a profound impact
on all areas of interest. Culture is one of them. Wikipedia allows for a
global collaborative interchange of knowledge. It is unprecedented and truly
a "masterpiece of human creative genius". These latter words are quoted from
the first UNESCO criterion for World Heritage recognition. It fits Wikipedia
today and had the free encyclopedia been what it is today in 1972, the World
Heritage Convention would likely have been composed differently.

 *It is very unlikely that you will reach your goal. What if you fail?*

When Wikipedia came to life ten years ago, most people deemed it impossible
to create a valuable encyclopedia that could be edited by anyone. The
concepts of free knowledge and collaborative amateur work seemed
implausible. The critics have been proven wrong. We believe that it is also
possible to have the largest collection of human knowledge recognized as a
World Heritage. The formal application process takes years. If we fail, it
will be after years of careful consideration and valuable discussions about
the meaning that free knowledge has in modern society.

*
*

*World Heritage sites are meant to be preserved. What is it about Wikipedia
that you think should be protected?*

Wikipedia is the largest evolving collection of human knowledge. Its
defining quality is openness, the greatest good of free knowledge. We must
secure free access to Wikipedia in the future.

 *But Wikipedia's content is edited all the time! How could you preserve it?
*

This is not about preserving the content of Wikipedia in a specific state.
What needs to be preserved is access to free knowledge. Every single article
can be edited or deleted. This has been the core of the free encyclopedia
from the very start. It has enabled a level of participation beyond anything
the sharing of knowledge has ever known. We need to preserve Wikipedia's
open character and the unique possibility it gives humanity to constantly
improve and share in the sum of its knowledge.

 *Aren't you doing this for publicity reasons only?*

We are serious about the initiative. We want Wikipedia to be recognized as
World Heritage. Publicity means public awareness of Wikipedia and free
knowledge. Even today many people do not know how to contribute to the free
encyclopedia or its sister projects. Increased public awareness means more
information. The more people discuss the projects and get interest in
details, the better. Wikimedia Chapters all over the world support the
global community with numerous activities and projects. We want to create
awareness and acceptance for what Wikipedia really is. It is more than just
a convenient way to access tons of information for free. Wikipedia is at the
front of the free knowledge movement. We want to take the chance and educate
people regarding the concept behind Wikipedia.

*
*

*Only ten years have passed since Wikipedia was founded. Is it not too soon
to apply for World Heritage recognition?*

The fact that Wikipedia as a project is this young* *makes its
accomplishments all the more fascinating. Wikipedia is here to stay. In only
ten years Wikipedia has reshaped access to knowledge for millions and
millions of people all over the world. It is a pioneer of the digital
age.The ten year anniversary is a good opportunity to take a step back
and look
at what hundreds of thousands of volunteers have achieved so far. * *A
perfect opportunity to take a look ahead, as well. What can we do to realize
our vision of enabling each and everybody to share in the sum of all
knowledge!? One answer is: Make people aware of the cultural impact
Wikipedia has.

 * *

*Why apply to this particular institution, the UNESCO?*

The UNESCO World Heritage agreement is the most successful agreement on the
protection of culture and nature that the international community has ever
reached. 187 countries have signed it.

* *

*Who is in charge of the project?*

The international community. The idea was developed in Germany, but this is
an international project. All Wikimedia Chapters are invited to participate.
Many of them have already joined the initiative.

*Which UNESCO World Heritage criteria does Wikipedia meet? *

Some, e.g.  "the site represents a masterpiece of human creative genius".
Meeting one is already sufficient in theory. However, our main objective is
rather to emphasize Wikipedia’s overall cultural relevance.

*A petition has been started to support the initiative. That’s not the
formal way. Does Wikipedia also apply formally for World Heritage status? *

Yes! However, the formal process requires years of application via national
states. Right now a petition signed by people from all over the world
wonderfully represents the idea behind Wikipedia.

--
Öffentlichkeitsarbeit

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Eisenacher Straße 2 | 10777 Berlin
Tel. (030) 219 158 260

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

****Unterstützen Sie Freies Wissen mit einer SMS. Senden Sie einfach WIKI an
81190. Mit 5 Euro sichern Sie so die Verfügbarkeit und Weiterentwicklung von