[Wikiversity-l] licenses

Leigh Blackall leighblackall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 01:09:36 UTC 2008

The only complication that I can see in Fair Use James is that it is a US
legal clause. The equivalent in Australia is Fair Dealings if I can remember
rightly, it is in NZ anyway, and the wording is slightly different. But from
what I've seen, Wikimedia seems to abide by US law more than any other law
and so Fair Use is probably the way to go. In some countries there is no
equivalent law, so this can be a blessing to them. Let's hope the defenders
of Fair Use in the US are successful in fending off assaults on the clause.
In some ways, Creative Commons contributes to the reduction of posted
strength on Fair Use as more and more people may become happy to let that
slip while the CC becomes stronger. That would be a shame..

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost