[Wikiversity-l] New book: Wikiworld - Political Economy and the Promise of Participatory Media

Teemu Leinonen teemu.leinonen at taik.fi
Thu Mar 20 00:10:55 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Some of you may find this new book interesting:

"Wikiworld - Political Economy and the Promise of Participatory Media"

 From the book:

"A case in point in the collaborative turn is Wikipedia and its
sister projects like Wikiversity, which in our estimate will soon
confront nationally governed educational  systems.  Researchers,
educators, teachers and other cultural workers are tired of waiting
to get on board the Wikiworld through their institutions, and are
building their blogs and wikis and forming alliances globally with
their peers and like-minded people. They are part of informal
networks and "invisible colleges."

I already read the first chapter and scanned the rest of the book and
it looks for me another - but pretty well grounded - attempt to
locate the Wikimedia phenomena to wider historical and social
context. The book is here:

http://wikiworld.wordpress.com/2007/03/21/6/

The authors are scholars from the University of Tampere in Finland:
philosopher and professor of adult education. I am trying to get them
to come over to the Wikimania 2008.

	- Teemu

Teemu Leinonen
http://www.uiah.fi/~tleinone/