[Wikiversity-l] Wikiversity and Wikibooks: can we answer the perennial question?

Juan de Vojníkov juandevojnikov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:07:54 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I agree with Teemu. Definition of both missions give us the difference:

> I think Wikibooks mission
> is very clear: "to create a free collection of open-content textbooks".
>
> The mission of the Wikiversity should then be: to create and run free
> learning projects.

I also think that Wikiversity needs the opportunity to host peaces of
Wikibook´s texts and Wikipedia´s articles and modify them. But just peaces.
Full texts should be placed on those pages.

And something from international point of view. I am Czech, my native
language is Czech. Actully Czech wikipedia is on the 22nd possition with its
more than 80 000 articles. We are also having in our language other projects
excepting Wikiversity and Wikinews. Other projects allready exists for a few
years, but they are still in the phoetal phase. Number of speaker of Czech
language is decreasing. It means, we are practicaly running just Wikipedia.
I dont prefer English for communication, thats why I found a few month ago
Czech Wikiversity on beta, but now I see, that I we would not be abble to go
for new language version request on meta. There are just about 3-5
interested people in extendeing its content. There is noone interested in
maintaining that system. We are having no resource on Wikibooks. So I would
say, we are wasting a lot of energy and time there. And this would be
simillar on other wikiversities.
So for this time, it seems me familiar to centralize all of these people
under one website and for the deep future, there might be a possibility to
differ these languages for different domains.

And one more thing on the and. Ive been on WM Polska conference this year,
having a presentation about Wikiversity. Most interest was there from the
site of Wikibookians, but their opinion was pesimistic. I think wikibookians
are a little bit affraid of loosing something. It is important to explaing
that Wikiversity is completly different projects and not just Wikibookians
will make Wikiversity´s community. See en.wikiversity, there are also people
from Wikipedia (like me) and for the future I think, new people from
outside will joint - with methodological skills.

Juan de Vojníkov (aka Juan)