[Wikiversity-l] Fwd: Invitation: OS Lab Workshop #2 - Wikiversity, Wikipedia, and Participatory Learning

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 7 21:17:17 UTC 2007

FYI :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Henrik Bennetsen <bennetsen at gmail.com>
Date: Dec 7, 2007 8:08 PM
Subject: Invitation: OS Lab Workshop #2 - Wikiversity, Wikipedia, and
Participatory Learning
To: Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>, Sue Gardner
<sgardner at wikimedia.org>, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com>

Please forward this email to all interested parties at Stanford and beyond

Stanford Open Source Lab would like to invite all interested parties
to our second workshop entitled: Wikiversity, Wikipedia, and
Participatory Learning. As our invited speakers we are thrilled to
welcome Sue Gardner, the Executive Director of the Wikimedia
Foundation as well as Erik Möller, a member of the Board of Trustees
of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Their talk abstract: In 2006, the Wikimedia Foundation , a non-profit
organization which operates Wikipedia, launched the Wikiversity
project, a free wiki-based platform for online learning and research.
First experiments in Wikiversity show the emergence of new forms of
self-organized learning and teaching. After transforming the nature of
the encyclopedia, could wikis also change the learning process itself?
How can the tension between a desire for quality educational resources
and a desire for the widest possible participation be resolved?

The speakers have generously accepted that this be a true workshop, so
we hope that you will bring your questions and comments and help make
this an interesting and lively event.

When: Monday, December 17th at 3pm
Where: The Learning Theater on the ground floor of Wallenberg Hall
(Bldg. 160), Stanford University More practical stuff:

The event is free and open to all interested parties.
Feel very free to forward this email or blog about this.
No need to RSVP but you can write Henrik Bennetsen - hbe at stanford.edu
if you have any questions.
You can check out the video from our first workshop with Aaron Swartz
speaking about the Open Library.
We hope to see you there,

Stanford Open Source Lab

--

About the Lab:

The lab was founded in November 2007 by a group of people from across
Stanford who feel that openness matter.
We have a wiki (Currently you need a SUNetID to login in, this will be changed)