[Wikitext-l] oh dear, a use for an image in an image caption

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 01:10:08 UTC 2007

> http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Print_Screen
>
> Wikitext: [[Image:Print Screen.gif|thumb|[[Image:Print Screen B.gif|50px]]]]
>
> I expect it would also be useful if you don't have the right script to
> hand for a caption.
>
> Steve, does your Image: syntax allow this sort of thing?

Yep. I went to some lengths to make that possible, and in fact my
grammar outperforms the current renderer. Afaik, image captions are
the only infinitely nestable wikitext language element. You can embed
everything in them except special blocks - lists, headings,
space-blocks, and anything that requires a special character in the
first column.*

Parsing such a beast is pretty scary though. The parse tree that ANTLR
generates for even a moderately nested image tag is pretty humongous.

Steve
* I haven't tried too hard to test this. Maybe it's possible with a
template that contains a list or something.