[Wikitext-l] Newlines in link captions

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Tue Dec 4 04:31:11 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> I'm surprised to discover that this works:
>
> <snip>
>
> In all these cases all the newlines in link or image captions are
> collapsed down to a single whitespace.
>
> So, the usual questions arise:
> 1. Does anyone know about, let alone use, this feature?
> 2. Is it useful?
> 3. Would anyone mind if it was gone?

It's probably useful, though not essential, in articles that use <ref>
tags in conjunction with templates like {{cite web}}. Many editors like
placing each parameter on a separate line to increase readability, and
citations often occur within image captions.

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at zoomtown.com>
AIM: trycom2000; Jabber: mxn at myjabber.net; Blog: http://notes.1ec5.org/