[Wikitech-l] Request for data from Wikimedia Foundation for academic research

Pradeep Bangera pradeep.bangera at imdea.org
Thu Jun 14 09:58:38 UTC 2012

Hello Wikimedia's system administrators and developers,

I am a PhD student from Institute IMDEA Networks, Spain. I very much
appreciate the data that you have published in Wikimedia Report Card. I
am writing this email as a kind request for a possible cooperation for
assisting me in my research work by sharing your data without violating
anyone's privacy.

I have a task of developing a list of Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
around the globe for 2012. One way of doing it is by mapping the IP
addresses of the internet users who visit your websites to their
corresponding Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) of the ISPs. For this I
need to have IP address dataset logged by your web server in 2012 and
certainly I do not seek it (IPs) being well aware of the privacy
concerns of any website companies. So instead of the IP addresses, if
you can cooperate in running a simple bash script (which I will send if
you agree) on my behalf which will map the IP address (2012 recorded)
from your database to its corresponding ASN and handover the ASNs
dataset to me, I will be thankful and greatly appreciate for your time
and cooperation.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks & regards

Pradeep Bangera