[Wikitech-l] Longterm hosting strategy

Lee Daniel Crocker lee at piclab.com
Sat May 7 05:17:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 21:27 -0400, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> While I of course welcome "big picture visionary" statements from people
> who don't know a lot about our actual network and challenges (we can
> learn from that), I'm mostly interested in extremely practical *here and
> now* feedback.  The people who are actually involved in the day to day
> running of the site have a better feel for what makes sense than anyone
> else -- it is their advice which will carry the day.

Sorry, but I have to make a big-picture comment.  The phase 3 software
was a quick hack, and reasonably effective at getting us over the
bandwidth hump until we could afford to throw more hardware at the
problem.  But my impression is that it is still 10-20 times less
efficient than it could be if done right.  Good software takes time to
design and build.  Might it not be wise to consider starting now to
invest in some development work?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee at piclab.com>
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/>