[Wikitech-ambassadors] MediaWiki 1.18 deployment in test stages - please help test

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 29 22:35:48 UTC 2011

We have now deployed MediaWiki 1.18 to several wikis, to shake out bugs
before deploying it to the largest and highest-trafficked wikis.  More
details are below and at
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/09/16/mediawiki118iscomin/ .

Major improvements in MediaWiki 1.18 include:

*    Support for gender-specific user pages: languages that have
different words for User whether the user is male or female will be able
to show the male or the female version, if the user has specified their
gender in their preferences.
*    Better directionality support: MediaWiki 1.18 will make it easier
for left-to-right and right-to-left text to coexist on the same page.
(Languages this affects include Hebrew, Arabic, and Farsi.)
*    Protocol-relative URLs, which will allow a wiki to support HTTP and
HTTPS while serving the same HTML for both, thus avoiding a split in the
parser cache.

We've now completed stage 2 of the deployment, deploying the new
software to meta.wikimedia.org, en.wikiquote.org, en.wikibooks.org,
beta.wikiversity.org, eo.wikipedia.org, nl.wikipedia.org, and
incubator.wikimedia.org.  We're set to upgrade the remaining wikis by
Tuesday, October 4, 23:00-03:00 UTC, so if there are any major bugs, we
would like to find them before then!  Please help, and please spread the
word.

I've started gathering some test cases at:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Sumanah/1.18_test_cases

with ideas of things that need to be tested.  Please feel free to add to
that list and to run those tests on various browsers, including on
mobile devices.  If you need help filing a bug, please feel free to
email me or to find me on IRC; I'm sumanah on Freenode.

Thank you.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator