[Wikisource-l] unz.org - new digitization/archiving effort

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 4 01:27:55 UTC 2011

Further to this, a key resource is the Online Books Page,
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/serials.html This is really helpful
for the older stuff.

Unz has a tremendous amount of more modern material, and I would have
concerns about the legitimacy of his having the material. For example
"The Anglo-Soviet Journal" was published in England from 1940 until
1992, shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Unz has a broken
run of issues between 1940 and 1974.  Who would have been in a position
to license his use of the material? Looking at the title page for the
Spring 1965 issue the ASJ allowed reproduction of its contents, but did
its contributors necessarily agree to this or give up their copyrights?
It all makes me wonder how much of his material is infringing.

For ourselves, it would make sense to be careful. In the broader scheme
of things the situation bears watching.  Do the authors of the articles
even give a damn? I suspect that few if any with standing will ever
complain. Those few can easily be accommodated. It makes one wonder
about the benefit to being purists about respecting copyrights.

Ray