[Wikisource-l] Copyright status of scans

Klaus Graf klausgraf at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:25:11 UTC 2010

2010/10/26 Andrea Zanni <zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com>:

> 2010/10/26 Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com>
>>
>> Roma locuta causa finita.
>
> I actually wrote this mail for understanding the issue,
> and know where did you discuss these things before.
> If you have links (like the one you gave me), I'd appreciate.
> (and, I'm not sure that the WMF can be ragerded as Roma: if someone sued
> you, and the WMF didn't care, the cause would not be finished at all)
>

>> There is no need to discuss things which have been discussed enough.
>
> See above. I would like to have information and links to these discussion.

Feel free to search Commons, en Wikipedia, de Wikipedia, Foundation-l.
You will find enough stuff.

>> If you have another position feel free to make an own project in
>> Italia.
>
> Obviously, this is not the case.
>>
>> The NPG affair has changed NOTHING.
>
> Do you happen to know how that finished?

Feel free to read

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dcoetzee/NPG_legal_threat/Coverage#February_2010

NPG claims were'nt successful.

>> I am fairly sure that European law forbids copyrighting merely scans
>> without originality. Italy has to respect this.
>
> Do you have any reference? THAT would be helpful.

You did'nt give any reference for your own assertions. Read

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:62008J0005:EN:HTML

and make your own judgement if a scan falls under "author’s own
intellectual creation".

EOD for my part

Klaus Graf