[Wikisource-l] Copyright status of scans

Alex Brollo alex.brollo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:06:20 UTC 2010

2010/10/26 Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com>

> Roma locuta causa finita.
>
> There is no need to discuss things which have been discussed enough.
> If you have another position feel free to make an own project in
> Italia.
>
> The NPG affair has changed NOTHING.
>
> I am fairly sure that European law forbids copyrighting merely scans
> without originality. Italy has to respect this.

IMHO there's a netiquette issue, apart from a legal issue. My suggestion is
to let alwais, and as soon is opossible, the "owner" know that "his" work
has been uploaded into Commons, thanking him and encouraging him to use
wikipedia derived work in the terms of our free licences.

Many "owners" would appreciate it, some would claim; claims should be
managed on common sense grounds. But it's far better a prompt claim, that a
legal claim that comes after years. Isn't it?

Alex