[Wikisource-l] Goals for Wikisource

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Jul 28 17:16:35 UTC 2010

On 07/26/2010 04:52 AM, John Vandenberg wrote:
> I think Wiktionary does want to include examples of the words 'in
> use', and Wikisource can provide this.

Wiktionary can need many things, coverage of common
words as well as examples of how to use uncommon words.

 From the Swedish Wikisource, I extracted the body text and
made a word frequency list, which I put on the Swedish
Wiktionary with each word in brackets, so I could see which
ones were red links. This doesn't indicate whether Wiktionary
covers all different meanings of each word, but at least it
makes sure Wiktionary has something about each of the most
common words. From the top word (2.7 million occurrences)
the first red link is now for a word with 6,300 occurrences
or 400 times less common than the top. For a good dictionary,
we need to extend this to maybe 40,000 (words that occur
only 67 times in Wikisource), so we have a long way to go,
but at least we know which words to start with.

http://sv.wiktionary.org/wiki/Användare:LA2/Ordfrekvens_Wikipedia_20100608

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)