[Wikisource-l] Goals for Wikisource (was: Re: Partnership with the French National Library)

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:28:20 UTC 2010

> Wikisource may aim towards being a repository of sources for
> Wikipedia. But IMHO it is not its only goal. In French Wikisource, we
> proofread some novels and short stories... and we would like them to
> be available in e-pub and pdf: now many people read on e-readers and
> we must be here to give them free texts to read. Don't you think so ?

I think that Wikisource should be a repository for public domain knowledge
and literature.
As Wikipedia is a sum of many specialized encyclopedias, probably Wikisource
is (should be)
the sum of specialized libraries... We work with public domain texts, and
that includes documents and grey literature, maybe from public sector and
legal literature.

Anyway, it would be very important to have an automatic tool for exporting
in ePub or pdf,
but IMHO the community is really small for that.
Probably, developers of Wikipedia, PediaPress and Source (ThomasV?) would be
able to work together to create a tool that needs to be as automatic as
possible.
It is an important goal, the my only problem is that I can't really help
with that,
I'm not a developer and I don't know how to contribute to such a technical
issue.

Of course, in the Italian community we're taliking a lot about this (also
within Wikimedia Italy),
but I do think that we lack people and competences to do something real and
significative.

If there's someone out there who's working on this,
we are ready to test ;-)

Aubrey