[Wikisource-l] Proofreading

Jesse (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:26:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Cecil <cecilatwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> So this patch seemed like a great solution. It would not change anything for
> any of the other Wikisources (unless they want it). But our programmer has
> no access to SVN and can't upload the patch himself and so we once again
> stand in front of a block: ThomasV is not willing to accept this patch
> (which probably means that even if our programmer would be able to update
> the code ThomasV would revert the patch).

Hello,

I think this patch is a good solution. Ideally the German community
should have a developer of its own, to help de-Wikisource in the same
way ThomasV helps en-Wikisource. Have you asked ThomasV if he would
apply (or at least not revert) the patch?

Communities should avoid forking when possible, because this brings
many problems (such as needing to worry about stability, hosting, ads,
funding, brand recognition, trademarking, etc) while removing many
advantages (such as benefiting from Wikimedia developers, sysadmins,
fundraisers, interwiki linking, brand recognition, etc). Another
consideration is that if the German Wikisource forked, it could no
longer call itself "Wikisource" since that name is owned by the
Wikimedia Foundation. The community would also need to find its own
developers anyway, when those persons could have gained SVN access
with Wikimedia without all the problems associated with forking.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)