[Wikisource-l] On linking Wikisource with page images

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 00:22:31 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 7:16 PM, Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)
<pathoschild at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a good point. How about a much cleaner syntax that can be used
> to generate the OCR markup? With your example text:
> {{ocr line| The first experiments were made on the absorption of carbonic }}
> {{ocr line| acid gas by water: and here a singular disagreement was observed }}
> {{ocr line| in the first trials made under exactly the same circumstances. It }}
>
> This is much easier to read, you know where the line breaks go, and
> it's immediately clear even to someone stumbling across the text that
> we're specifically keeping track of lines (so they don't helpfully
> remove unneeded line breaks). Since single line breaks are ignored by
> MediaWiki, we can just use the same line width so the template syntax
> lines up for easier ignoring.

Oh that gets it most of the way there.. but could I still smuggle in
the coords? ;) like:

{{ocr line|551-4202-2666-4278-1|The first experiments were made on the
absorption of carbonic}}

I suppose I could also make the coords base 60 or so.. so they would be shorter.