[Wikisource-l] Fwd: [BP] DP Releases 10,000th Book

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 12 18:00:58 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Juliet Sutherland <vze3rknp at verizon.net>
Date: Mar 10, 2007 2:12 AM
Subject: [BP] DP Releases 10,000th Book
To: Book People <bookpeople at pobox.upenn.edu>

Today Distributed Proofreaders <http://www.pgdp.net> (DP) posted a
package of texts that takes us over 10,000 completed titles. I'm very
proud of our community of volunteers who have accomplished this
beautiful number. The 10K package (listed below) showcases the wide
range of our volunteers' interests and talents.

There are examples of a number of our on-going large projects including
the Slave Narratives (now over half done), the Bureau of American
Ethnography reports, periodicals (this issue of Punch is the 280th that
we've done), and the beginning of a new project, Linnaeus' Species
Plantarum. Children's literature and Science Fiction are two popular
areas and both are represented on this list. Shakespeare in French and
John Evelyn's classic work on the trees of England represent the
classics. The Shanty Book has music to listen to, and the Encyclopedia
of Needlework deserves its name, being so large and full of illustrations.

It's hard to argue which of these titles is the most significant, but I
lean towards The annals of the Cakchiquels. Here is what one of the
people involved with its production told me about it, "The Annals of the
Cakchiquels contains the text and translation of a document written in
the 17th century in Cakchiquel Maya, a Mayan language of highland
Guatemala. The document begins with a history of the Cakchiquel people
and continues with the history of the writer's family through the
arrival of the Spanish in the area and to the date of the writing. It is
one of the few documents written in Mesoamerican indigenous languages
that contain the history of the people before the Spanish Conquest. The
author, Daniel G. Brinton, was an early archaeologist, ethnologist, and
linguist."

There are thousands of DP volunteers who have made this milestone
possible. They all deserve thanks for their contributions!

JulietS

The DP 10,000 Collection

20771  Species Plantarum: Monandria, Diandria and Triandria  by Carolus
Linnaeus (Carl von Linni) 1753  Latin

20772 Agriculture for beginners, Rev. ed. by Charles William Burkett,
Frank Lincoln Stevens, and Daniel Harvey Hill. 1914

20773 Marchand de Venise by Shakespeare, trans. by M. Guizot. original
1821, ed. transcribed.1862  French

20774 The Shanty Book, Part I, Sailor Shanties by Richard Runciman Terry
(1864-1938)  1921

20775 The annals of the Cakchiquels: The original text, with a
translation, notes, and introduction by Francisco Ernantez Arana (fl.
1582), trans. by and edit. by Daniel G. Brinton (1837-1899)  1885
English/Cakchiquel Mayan

20776 Encyclopedia of Needlework, by Therese de Dillmont  originally
from 1884

20777 R. Caldecott's First Collection of Pictures and Songs by Randolph
Caldecott.  [1900-1909?]

20778 Sylva, or, A Discourse of Forest-Trees by John Evelyn
(1620-1706)  1664

20779 Heimatlos by Johanna Spyri, 1890 German

20780 Punch, or the London Charivari, Volume 159, October 27, 1920

20781 Heidi by Johanna Spyri, trans. Elisabeth P. Stork, with an intro
by Charles Wharton Stork, A.M. PhD, Illustrations by Maria L. Kirk. Gift
edition. 1919

20782 Triplanetary, by E.E. Smith  1934

20783 Como atravessei @frica (v. II), by Alexandre Alberto da Rocha de
Serpa Pinto (aka Serpa Pinto)  1881 Portuguese

20784 Eighth Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary
of the Smithsonian Institution, 1886-1887, ed. John Wesley Powell

20785 Slave Narratives, Oklahoma (A Folk History of Slavery in the
United States From Interviews with Former Slaves)  Works Project
Administration Federal Writer's Project 1936-1938