[Wikipedia-l] Are we running out of sources

lennart guldbrandsson l_guldbrandsson at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 08:16:36 UTC 2009

I have thought about the question below as well, but from a different angle: should we start trusting blogs more? This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is actually a complex issue. A few thoughts:

1. some blogs have matured and present well-researched information
2. some blogs are written by people who are notable
3. some blogs are more up-to-date than traditional media-outlets (c.f. Twitter bringing news faster than CNN during some of the latest crises)
4. more people write blogs than work in traditional media (c.f. Wikipedia having more editors than Encyclopaedia Britannica)
5. traditional media decrease their presence in both hot spots and cold spots and rely more and more on wire agencies like Reuters, which means that the content is more streamlined - or POV in some cases, whereas blogs potentially cover the entire spectrum.

In other words, the world is moving to the internet and if Wikipedia wants to stay ahead it will need to adapt.

This is, as I said, a complex issue: we cannot trust any old blog, and we shouldn't (see the "some blogs" comments). But let me just take one Swedish example: one of the most prominent thinkers in the Swedish debate about the internet is Oscar Swartz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Swartz). He is of course interviewed in several newspapers, and have written at least two books. But his major contributions are made on his blog (http://swartz.typepad.com/texplorer/ ), and other internet sites, not in his interviews or his books. And it will stay that way for him. He will, when he ends his career, have made a far lesser stamp in traditional media than on the internet. But nevertheless, he is an important figure in the Swedish internet culture, and any encyclopedic article about him worth its salt should acknowledge and reflect that. (By the way, I don't think I have edited his article, so this is not a way to push POV, it's just an example. I am sure there are plenty of other examples I could have mentioned.) With the current situation, can Wikipedia reflect the emerging world order?

In still other words, we may need to think this through a little bit more. Is the Internet Archive the way to go? Who decide what blogs are reliable sources? And should we try to bring in more archivists who have already wrestled with this question on saving the internet for future generations?

Best wishes,

Lennart Guldbrandsson, ordförande för Wikimedia Sverige http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Huvudsida

Tfn: 031 - 12 50 48
Mobil: 070 - 207 80 05