[Wikipedia-l] Are we running out of sources

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 03:46:25 UTC 2009

I suggest that if we send out queries, we do so personally, not in the
name of Wikipedia.  Someone might, for example say, I think your
accomplishments in your line of work are suitable for  an encyclopedia
article--could you please confirm some of the basics beyond what is on
your web site., and tell me if you know of any newspaper or magazine
articles that have been written about your work.  This is more likely
to avoid the tendency to spam (or over-modesty) that results from
actually expecting people to write about themselves.

We could assist this perhaps by having an explicit input form and
standardized layout for bio articles in various fields--essentially
this would be an extension of the infoboxes which already tend to
duplicate the text in large part. It seems a little absurd to do
everything twice, and I suggest that we perhaps adopt infoboxes as the
basic format for many types of articles, to be automatically turned
into prose if anyone really wants it to look like a conventional
encyclopedia--and, in many cases, supplemented by free-form more
conventional writing. This is in essence providing information for a
semantic web, not conventional writing--but it has advantages, such as
clarity, comparability, and search capability. If someone wants to see
articles for everyone born in Seattle in 1960, they could do so. They
could even print it out as a book.

The minority of wikipedians who actually have the skills to write
coherent prose, or who are willing to learn, would still have enough
scope in the famous people and the general articles. An actual printed
example of this is Louis Kronenberger's "Atlantic Brief Lives: a
Biographical Companion to the Arts."  (1965) which consists of 1081
one- or two-hundred word fairly standardized biographies of famous
people writer by a small research staff--211 of which are supplemented
by one- or two-thousand word diverse free-structured essays on the
very most famous, written by distinguished critics or scholars.
Browning gets a bio; Tennyson gets a bio plus an essay. Just as in WP,
the choice depended considerably on whom the distinguished critics and
scholars wanted to write about.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.