[Wikipedia-l] Proposed fork of Wikipedia

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 16:45:33 UTC 2008

on 7/7/08 12:20 PM, Thomas Dalton at thomas.dalton at gmail.com wrote:

> You'll struggle to get anywhere starting from scratch. Wikipedia is so
> far ahead that you won't get any readers and without readers you won't
> get more than a handful of writers. Citizendium started off with some
> Wikipedia content (although later removed most of it) and had the
> advantage of being founded by a known name, and it's nowhere near
> challenging Wikipedia and probably won't be any time soon. I've never
> heard anyone in the real world mention it, I hear people mention
> Wikipedia almost every day.

Nice words of encouragement. Thomas :-(. What are you afraid of?

>> - simplicity and clarity of rules - there will be only three policies,
>> a "fundamental policy" (basically a constitution), a "content policy"
>> (essential content standards such as neutrality and verifiability),
>> and a "community policy" (essential community standards such as
>> respect and pleasantness);
>
> A noble goal, but if you're going to get to the kind of size you need
> to be to compete with Wikipedia you're going to end up needing more
> than that. What about a deletion policy? A blocking policy? Some
> method for arbitrating disputes? Nobody likes having pages and pages
> of rules and procedures, but unfortunately they are necessary if a
> large group of people are going to work together effectively.

It isn't size that is going to prove the true competitor of Wikipedia. It is
going to be quality, accuracy and consistency. And, a true non-cultist
approach to the work.

It's time.

Marc Riddell

--
If you're restricted to what is - you are cut off from - - what could be.