[Wikipedia-l] Proposed fork of Wikipedia

Maury Markowitz maury_markowitz at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 17:42:24 UTC 2008

> as long as five minutes. The underlying ideals are a common thread in > many such religious or political movements. Most of these devolve into > either tyranny or ineffectuality.

Interesting point! The historical record here is somewhat worrying. I can't count myself among the knowledgeable in terms of cultural studies, but off the top of my head the examples I can think of seem to have a high correlation with large stacks of bloated bodies.

On another note, I grew a little worried after some minor poking about. Thomas, I looked over your Contribs and found that you have made only 21 mainspace edits since the start of the year, and 10 of those were marked "minor". In that same time you made 46 edits to user talk pages, 121 edits on the Wikipedia namespace, and 45 to Wikipedia talk pages. That's a ratio of 10 to 1.

To me this suggests your primary interest in the Wikipedia is to use it as a social networking tool. There's nothing wrong with this, but I think you'll agree that that's not the primary purpose of the system. Perhaps your frustration comes from attempting to use the Wiki for a task it was never intended to support? This strikes me as akin to blaming a hammer for not being a very good screwdriver.

Maury