[Wikipedia-l] Proposed fork of Wikipedia

Thomas Larsen thomashlarsen.wmf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 03:42:43 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I am formally proposing that Wikipedia be forked and that a new
compendium of human knowledge, Wikipendium, be created as an
independent alternative with a more pleasant, respectful, productive,
constructive community with simple, clear rules and an unbureaucratic
and responsible governance structure.

I believe, along with many others, that Wikipedia community members
are frequently unjustifiably hostile towards viewpoints other than
their own and towards the users who hold these viewpoints.  In
addition, I feel that Wikipedia has become too bureaucratic,
ineffective, and indecisive and has placed the values of quantity and
openness, while important, over those of quality and reliability
respectively.  I believe that Wikipedia's continued rejection of, and
discrimination _against_, experts is outrageous and must be amended,
but in a far less elitist and arrogant way than Citizendium has
attempted.

The official proposal may be found as a blog at
http://wikipendium.blogspot.com/ .  All people who are interested are
invited to participate in discussion there.

Best and friendly regards,

Thomas

--
Thomas H. Larsen