[Wikipedia-l] Non-notability "abuse"

Ian Tresman ian2 at knowledge.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 11:54:53 UTC 2007

>"One-size-fits-all" notability criteria are impossible to set. We need
>topic-specific notability guidelines that could determine notability, or
>lack thereof, in at least 90% of cases (exceptions will always exist).
>Moreover, notability criteria should not be systemically biased. For
>example, the notability criteria for films states that a film which wins a
>"major award" is notable. In a footnote, the Academy Awards and Cannes are
>listed as examples of "major awards". However, what about Chinese films?
>Shouldn't the Golden Horse Awards be considered "major"?

A film that wins a major award is notable for one thing: it's won a
notable award. But a film might be notable for a ton of other
reasons, notable directory, scene, newsworthiness, etc etc.

But notability is not a criteria for inclusion. We include films
because the information about then is verifiable, and SECONDLY, we
mention whether the is anything notable about them.

Notability is a characteristic, not an inclusion criteria.

Regards,

Ian Tresman
www.plasma-universe.com