[Wikipedia-l] Non-notability "abuse"

Ian Tresman ian2 at knowledge.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 15:48:54 UTC 2007

>This can be dangerous. For instance, putting pet pseudo-scientific theories
>on Wikipedia gives them a certan credence that they would not get anywhere
>else.

We don't put our own pet ideas into Wikipedia. That is original
research and prohibited. But we do include the sum of human
knowledge, whether it's credible or not.

Otherwise by your line of reasoning, we should remove all the
articles on Communism, slang, pornography, terrorists, dictators,
morals, etc etc, just in case people get the "wrong" idea.

Let's take the prime example of pseudoscience "astrology", and its
description on Encarta.
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761552380/Astrology.html  It is
not labelled "pseudoscience", not is it even criticised. Encarta does
what any decent encyclopedia should do, describe it. Neutrally.

By the same argument, EVERY single article describing a model, theory
and hypothesis is given extra "credence" by its very mention on Wikipedia.

Regards,

Ian Tresman
www.plasma-universe.com