[Wikipedia-l] Non-notability "abuse"

Ian Tresman ian2 at knowledge.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 16:10:29 UTC 2007

>Never take anyone who starts going on about 'notability' seriously. Really..
>people like that take the project far too seriously ("But we're an
>encyclopedia!", as if that means anything at all). There is 0 point in
>deleting verifiable, useful content that someone might expect Wikipedia to
>have an article on (say, if they heard it mentioned in a conversation or
>similar). And now there will be floods of, "Should be include phone
>directory listings too then?" but it's hardly as if anyone would expect to
>find that on Wikipedia...

But it is happening, as shown in the examples I gave. You would not
believe the hundreds of hours I've spent arguing "notability", when
I'd rather be researching, writing and bettering the articles.

Despite WP:V and WP:RS, people continually use "notability" as an
excuse for deletion. And if a dozen editors agree, then there
(currently) nothing that can be done. Consensus overrules WP:V and
WP:RS, and Jimbo's view that "verifiability" is the criteria for inclusion.

Regards,

Ian Tresman
www.plasma-universe.com