[Wikipedia-l] Non-notability "abuse"

Ian Tresman ian2 at knowledge.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 14:18:43 UTC 2007

I believe that the idea of "notability" is being
abused to remove controversial articles: it is
impossible to prove that a subject is notable to
you, and you can ignore whether it may be notable to someone else.

Jimmy is quoted as saying that the criteria for
inclusion is verifiability, which is why we have
the following, many of which are not notable in themselves:

* A thousand articles on each of the top 1000 asteroids
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asteroids_%281-1000%29

* Every single episode of the Simpsons, and many other less notable TV shows.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_episodes

* Articles on different shades of blue
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue

Examples of abuse?

* We have articles on hundreds of student newspapers
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_student_newspapers

   But one in particular is singled out for
removal on grounds of notability, presumable
because of its controversial associations:

   Pensée, a short-lived student newspaper from the 1970s.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pens%C3%A9e_%28Immanuel_Velikovsky_Reconsidered%29

* We have articles on some of the most bizarre,
unproven, and pseudoscientific theories, eg. Time
Cube, Eloptic energy, and Welteislehre.

   But the article on the "Electric universe
(concept)" was removed also on the grounds of notability (and other reasons)
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Electric_universe_%28concept%29
   Yet the concept is readily verifiable (my
comments were removed from the AfD, and placed n the discussion page).

*We have articles on all manner of people, from cranks to presidents.

   But the article on "Ralph Juergens" was
removed on the grounds of his non-notability.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Ralph_Juergens
   However, he is notable in the "Velikovsky
affair", has written articles, etc.

By point is not to specifically argue for the
inclusion of these articles, but that to suggest,
for example, that "Pensée" is less notable than
asteroid #812, shows that notability is a
subjective criteria influenced by popularity, and is being abused as such.

Wikipedia is supposed to be the "sum of all human
knowledge", described from a neutral point of
view, whose criteria for inclusion is
verifiability. Minority views can receive
(detailed) attention on pages specifically devoted to them.

The examples I gave are all well-noted
(verifiable). I agree that you might not
necessarily find them notable (popular), but is
that a reason to exclude them from readers who
are unable to judge for themselves?

Regards,

Ian Tresman
www.plasma-universe.com