[Wikipedia-l] Commons Database

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:57:50 UTC 2007

Hoi,
The issue with data is not so much that it can be whatever, the point is
that it should not be whatever. When data is provided, like the size of the
Washington DC population, it is relevant to know the source and the date of
this information. This will explain what the number actually means. When
there are multiple sources for this information, it is not relevant what
information is "correct", what is of relevance is that information on
comparable subjects uses the same data source.

OmegaWiki, the best implementation of Wikidata, does not carry at the moment
information like number of inhabitants. Technically it would be possible to
do so however, the data structure needed has not been implemented yet. We do
however demonstrate other types of information. Have a look at the
Netherlands, it is marked as a "country" and consequently all kinds of
attributes associated with this class are available.

When you create a user profile, you can experiment with the representation
of the data. You will find that depending of the existence of translations
your experience will be in the language that you select. We do want to
support more languages and, we want to extend the data available.

As OmegaWiki is providing its data under a more liberal license then the
GFDL, it is possible for everyone to make use of its data.

Thanks,
      GerardM

http://www.omegawiki.org/index.php?title=DefinedMeaning:The%20Netherlands%20(5809)&dataset=uw