[Wikipedia-l] OpenStreetMap's first edit war

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 23:42:10 UTC 2007

On 18/11/2007, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> For fun:
> http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=244

Morwen mentioned this to me down the pub this evening :-) She is
carefully avoiding getting anywhere near the code, 'cos she codes for
a living and wikis are for *fun*, i.e. *content* [1]. But she says
that the open mappers don't have anything like the tools we have
merely with MediaWiki, and it requires good coders to want to get into
the depths of coding something up.

- d.

[1] she's very aware of the case of Tim Starling, who joined Wikipedia
to write about physics and ended up swapping lead and deputy lead duty
with Brion on the code and systems.

- d.