[Wikipedia-l] Hidden tragedy: requests in limbo (dezas sekrè: demand nan okenn kote)

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:49:24 UTC 2007

Hello,

Perhaps some of you are aware of the formation of the Langcom.

Also, you may be aware of the recent reform of the language proposal process.

However, what you may not be aware of is that the Language Committee
is taking a while to actually get underway and to the point where they
can excersise control over the creation of new Wikis.

Despite that, it seems that they are already looked to as an authority
in this area, while they do not act as such.

There are several new Wikipedia requests which were uncontroversial
when first posed. Many of dozens of voices of support, and have
thriving tests on the Incubator.

However, their requests were deleted by PathosChild who said that they
would have to remake them, which they have. So far, no proposals for
Wikipedias in new languages have been _approved_ under the new
proposal process, despite its having been around for several months
now. They just sit there. And sit there. And sit there some more.

I think it's about time something happened. I think it's about time we
welcomed these people -- the Kabyles, the Latgalians, the Lower
Sorbians, the Crimeans, and all the others -- into our Wikipedia
family. They have waited long enough. Why can't somebody do something?
Why do they have to wait for the langcom to get underway? For all we
know, that could take years.

Mark

--
Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.