[Wikipedia-l] Domain parking

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 19:35:15 UTC 2006

On 9/12/06, Lorenzarius <lorenzarius at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Squatted_Wikimedia_domains
>
> I just copied the list from [[m:Domain names]], could tidy up the format more.

Just for the record. Mentionning those domains in a "readable" format
gives them traffic.

Listing people as "squatters" just like that is a dangerous game,
because people who just have the domains, are potential friends and
forgot to connect them might not like being called a *squatter* (and I
know what I am talking about, we almost lost one of our important
domain extension because the guy who bought it was called a "squatter"
constantly on our lists - he was not).

In the end, I personally do not believe that making all this noise is
the solution, because it only comforts real squatters in their
conviction that squatting "wikipe-somethingorother.stuff" domains is a
great idea. Not something we are particularly looking for.

And to finish, as Ray points out, there is no way the Foundation will
ever have the means to take every single domain/extension that sounds
or looks or even is one of their trademarks.

Listing those somewhere is also very tempting for squatters...

Delphine

--
~notafish