[Wikipedia-l] An outsider's view on en-admin-only whatever and the rest

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:09:57 UTC 2006

On 26/01/06, Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com> wrote:

> The possible benefits of having the helpdesk as a list -- many
> experienced eyes all looking at one question, openness, easy signup,
> etc. -- are negated by the sheer volume of the list, dearth of regular
> volunteers, and the fact that many people are confused about the
> difference between sending to the private info address and to a public
> mailing list -- I don't think anyone anticipated the sheer volume of
> it when it was created.

I signed up to assist helpdesk-l, some time back, and I got out a
couple of emails before being overwhelmed. I do like the idea of
merging the systems - even if a mail sits on OTRS for a while, it is
at least clear that it's yet to be handled. It seems a better system
for it, though the idea of having the seperate "sensitive" and
"general" streams is smart. And it removes the number of people who
think Wikipedia "ignores them" through not recieving a reply from
helpdesk-l, which they think is an official contact...

(That said, I haven't signed up to OTRS yet - who do I email?)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk