[Wikipedia-l] An outsider's view on en-admin-only whatever and the rest

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:35:41 UTC 2006

Delphine Ménard wrote:
> crossposting to wikipedia-l as this is an international issue
> =========
> Hi all,
>
> as a totally non-en person, admin on other wikis and actually working
> "behind the scenes", I would like to give my view on what I believe is
> needed, and why an en-admin-only channel and list won't help to the
> extent that is needed. This is long, but please bear with me.
>
> Let me try to make this more concrete.
>
> OTRS (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS) receives a lot (and here I
> mean "A LOT") of complaints.

<snip>

I'd like to add that helpdesk-l (which is just a regular old mailing
list) suffers from the same problem, except that we have no way of
knowing who has answered what until someone else posts a reply to it,
and there are a lot less people working on it. At present I have a
backlog of over 2300 messages, some of them from December last year. If
you are interested please visit
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/helpdesk-l - we mostly use
the OTRS messages (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/en), but
Humblefool and Jareth have some other messages at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Humblefool/Helpdesk_boilerplates and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jareth/Boiler respectively.

Maybe we should shut it down and all move to OTRS. I don't know.