[Wikipedia-l] Re: Friendship and trust

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 25 04:49:21 UTC 2006

Walter van Kalken wrote:

> Also the soap opera in which users were in a revert war over jimbo's
> vote as it is a vote against the rules. And people including some very
> langtime mods were arguing that Jimbo doesn't have any say in
> nl.wikipedia affairs at all and that he was trying to influence the
> vote. Which is an interesting debating point.
>
> I myself was also told by longterm mods after I gave my apologies that
> I shouldn't do that as I was influencing the vote.

Since when is it wrong to influence votes when you do so in a completely
transparent fashion? If you ban all influence from votes, nobody will
have any information or arguments on which to base a vote. Next thing
you know, using rational argument and persuasion to convince someone
that articles should be written from a neutral point of view will become
a violation of the "no-influence" policy.

--Michael Snow